Saturday, 6 October 2007

Travel around Japan: On the trains - Part I

Our trip to Japan in spring 2007 was the first that covered different regions in Japan.

Previously, we mostly stayed in Tokyo. While in Tokyo, we preferred to use the Subways / Private Lines rather than using the JR Yamanote loop. After our experience being squashed on a JR train, we were quite “serik”. (got squashed / penyek twice, once pre-Raimie way back in 2002 and once with toddler Raimie). Subways cost a bit more but the difference was minimal (extra Yen10 or so)… Some people might differ with our opinion, but we always managed to get seats in a subway rather than on JR train.


Ticket.


I always got worried of losing this tiny ticket.

Raimie loved to put the tickets in the slot. We usually will let him do that unless we were in a busy station. Zaini is now an expert in train connections with the different lines. Having a coloured subway map is crucial to plan your trip. The maps were available at the stations and were in several languages.

In Tokyo, we usually just buy the Yen1,000 prepaid cards for ease. (make good souvenirs for us too…) Haven’t tried using the Suica card yet… Maybe next year?

I have to praise the commuters though. Once, we boarded a very crowded train and I was carrying Raimie, a few kind souls offered me their seats even though they barely had room to stand up. I wish people would offer me a seat on the LRT when I was 8 months pregnant without me asking (glaring at them) for it. Sigh…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...