Sunday, 26 October 2008

For That Clear 20/20 Vision

Once upon a time, when I was younger and way fitter than I am now, I contemplated for a career in the military. I actually applied to join the RMAF (Royal Malaysian Air Force) but fate had chosen that it was not the career because of my eyesight.

Which is why I find the news about iLasik and how NASA and US Military increased the performance of mission-critical personnel using laser vision correction technologies fascinating. An all-laser form of LASIK has been tapped by the Department of Defense (DOD) and NASA to improve the vision of specialized personnel facing extreme, physically demanding conditions and according to Steven Schallhorn, M.D., a retired U.S. Navy captain and leader of clinical research and studies done for the DOD; today’s LASIK is validated by both the DOD and NASA to exceed all established standards of safety and effectiveness.

What is LASIK technology, you ask? I searched for some LASIK information and what I learn is that the iLASIK technology is one of the most precise medical procedures performed today.The iLASIK procedure uses two lasers instead of one, as in earlier versions of the procedure. The first ultra fast laser, a femtosecond laser creates a thin corneal flap of precise dimensions. This is then folded back to allow the second laser to correct your vision based on the exact specification bar measurement of your eyes. The procedure takes just minutes. Patients experience a virtually painless procedure with potential for 20/20 or better vision and unparalleled safety. The problems experienced with use of the microkeratome to make a flap have been greatly reduced by this technology.

With an evaluation of 95% 20/20 uncorrected vision achieved by the US military, it is sure something to think about for those, who like me, depended on spectacles or contact lenses for their clear vision. Imagine waking up one day without the need to put on your spectacles. As Dr. Schallhorn said, “technologically speaking, there is no better time than now to join the over 12 million Americans who have benefited from LASIK." Cool eh?
Post?slot_id=23712&url=http%3a%2f%2fsocialspark

6 comments:

  1. I also been thinking about LASIK. How I wish the price would be much cheaper. Its about 300,000 yen here. I've seen the operation done on TV. So fast n no pain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 300,000 yen? oooo... that's expensive. My friends did the procedure here at I think RM5K for both eyes.

    I tahan pakai spek ajelah, since cannot be parted with RM5K. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. RM5K jek? My god murah nye. Clinic mane ek dia buat? I am seriously thinking of an operation. My eyes sight sooo bad lah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went for the eye surgery in 2006..definitely worth it. I dumped my glasses and contacts for good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @farah,
    it was a couple of years back, so I don't know for sure how much it cost currently. But most of my office mates who had done it, did it at a LASIK centre in Mid Valley.

    @MBL,
    how much did it cost you? Maybe I should try and do them? And chuck my specs for good. Would be great to be able to wear any sunglasses with ease. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lina, mine cost almost RM6k. It's much cheaper to do it here than anywhere else...alot of foreigners do the surgery here. Back home, they have to pay more. They have packages depending on the procedure recommended. Eye check is must before they recommend surgery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...