Saturday, 29 November 2008

Sanma Fish At Jusco's Iwate Fair

Lovely sanma fish (Pacific saury) for our weekend lunch. Bought them at Jusco Mid Valley as they're having a Japanese-Iwate Food Fair.

These sanma fish would normally cost RM12.90 per pc but during the fair it is only RM3.99. So, I bought 4!

It'll be my first try making sanma no shioyaki (salt grilled pacific saury) and I got this recipe to try. Looks easy but with my "excellent" ability to cook, I'm not sure how it'll turn out. Wish me luck! XD



Grilled Sanma
  1. Rinse the fish with cold water and pat dry.
  2. Sprinkle salt all over on both sides of the fish and set aside for about 10 minutes.
  3. Broil in a broiling pan in the oven for 7-10 minutes until the flesh is firm & the top is golden brown.
  4. Grate some fresh daikon radish.
  5. Squeeze the water out of the grated daikon and serve next to the sanma with a wedge of lime and a dash of soy sauce.
  6. Ready to be eaten with a nice bowl of piping hot rice and miso soup.
I simply can't wait for lunch!

17 comments:

  1. Ooh, sounds good. I wonder how big each one is. Perhaps you should place your finger beside one so as to give us a better idea.

    Let us know how the fish turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lina, you got them at a great deal! Have never heard of this fish nor have I tried them. Keep us posted on how it turns out...happy cooking and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. salam lina,

    kunyit + garam goreng dgn minyak sikit saja, jadi lauk melayu.

    bakar dgn garam sikit, buat cecah asam kicap, satu lagi lauk melayu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! reading this already make my mouth water! Cook some for me, can or not? : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Luck!

    Personally I'm not a fan of fish though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @CK,
    will try & put up a photo of the cooked item with some body parts involved as a sizing guideline. :D

    @MBL,
    I feel it's a good deal. & Thanks!

    @Kak Lela,
    noted. :)

    @foong,
    sure can but come to my house first lah, OK? :D
    but sure cannot compete with all your hotel buffet feast!

    @Contamination,
    you are not a fish fan? Pity... I, OTOH love fish. Chicken is so blah for me

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm headed to Iwate for the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Thomas,
    Anything special there? We are tempted to make a visit to Iwate just because Jusco here keep on having an Iwate fair. The manager must've an Iwate native. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lina, I love:

    Pork, Beef, Lamb, Chicken, Turkey, Horse, Kangaroo or Emu. I love all kinds of land based MEAT.

    But fish? Just give me a McDonalds Fille-O please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Contamination,
    a carnivore. :)

    Going to McD - give me quarter pounder over that lame fillet-o-fish. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. lina,
    something is wrong with your URL address, check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Kak Lela,
    maybe its due to my post that I unpublish after accidentally publishing it too early of schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow.. they discounted it so much! The US Food carnival over in Jusco puchong tak guna! All the food masih mahal!!

    p.s. What so special about that fish? Besides being from.. Iwate?

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Shaun,
    Special about the fish? Beats me - I'm a sucker for anything Japanese. LOL
    Have to ask the expert out there. Anyone? :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Pacific Saury pics. One of my favorite autumn fish. You may find this post of interest on brand sanma:

    http://thesoulofjapan.blogspot.com/2008/09/kushiro-blue-fin-sanma-seito-sanma.html

    Once you try this sanma you'll be hooked for life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @SoJ,
    Wow, you're reading an old post of mine. ^^

    Maybe I'll try them but I'm scared of being hooked on them. Then, I have to find them year after year! ;p

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...