Friday, 19 December 2008

Opening A New Bag of Tea

Before you ask what is the big deal about a bag of tea, let me tell you, this bag of tea flew all the way from Okinawa for me.

Not too sure what's the brand or the type. Perhaps Kak Lela can enlighten us?

Hopefully, it'll last me a month or I'll have to start looking for a new bag of tea soon. But at the rate I'm sharing them with my colleagues, I think I'll finish it soon, anyway.



Here are some tips on how to enjoy a cup of Japanese Green Tea (from wikiHow):
  • Put a teaspoon of loose green tea into a ceramic cup or inside the ceramic filter of the cup if there is one
  • Do not use boiling water for green tea, especially sencha, shincha and other delicate green teas. (This might be tricky as I can't read the labels and I also don't know how to differentiate the tea unless there's a label mentioning it) Instead, bring water to a boil then let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Water temp should be around 60-80 C (140°F - 175°F).
  • Pour water over tea leaves, into your ceramic cup. Water can be a bit higher for other green teas
  • Put a cover on top of the cup, and let it sit for 1-3 minutes. The newer the tea, the less it should steep
  • Open the cover of the cup - remove filter if using one. Shincha (新茶: a new tea) and sencha (煎茶: broiled tea) are best steeped using a filter, then removing filter and leaves from cup or pot. Smell the tea first to enjoy its pleasant aroma. Then take a look at the bright green color of the tea.
  • Relax and slowly sip your first taste of the tea. Let it roll down your tongue and savor the subtle scent of the sweet grass. Slowly, enjoy every sip of your green tea
  • If drinking green tea with leaves still in cup/gaiwan, wait until one third of the tea is all that is left in the cup,then add more hot water. The above procedure can be repeated with the same loose green tea leaves up to three times or more. If using a filter, tea leaves can be infused 1-2 more times.

The choices of teas are plenty, my personal favourites are Genmaicha (玄米茶: brown-rice tea) and mugicha (麦茶: roasted barley tea) and I am not fond of other types of roasted tea. What's your choice for a cup of tea?

11 comments:

  1. I like a variety where there's "seaweed or grain-like" taste and smell...but I don't have the name...generally, I love green tea..and anything that has green tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MBL,
    haven't tried seaweed tea yet, is it a bit salty?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really a tea fan, but I love collecting them. Heck, I bring home all the complimentary tea bags from the hotel's mini bar upon check out. Although there are just those days where I really need a cup of it.

    Do green teas smell funny or it's just my nose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We English are so uncivilised. I have to say I prefer my tea with milk!

    Some of the best tea I have ever tasted was on a railway station in India. Straight from the "char wallah's" pot half tea half milk and about ten spoons of sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @bisaja,
    you must have an impressive collection! :-)

    @Mike,
    I do like my "uncivilised" cup of tea too. Indian tea filled with sweet condensed milk, and plenty of it ( about half of the cup, in actual fact) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually drink Chinese tea. But generally I like all types of tea. Your tips are pretty useful ;)

    Enjoying your blog ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  7. @jasonmighty,
    thanks. I like your blog too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good info, lina! I normally drink Chinese tea, sometimes green tea.

    Btw, do you still see webdings on my post? So weird, cos I don't see it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @foong,
    Yep, I'm still seeing those webdings. Weird. I thought you did it in purpose, actually. Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tried out different kinds of tea but I still stick with green tea.

    Having worked in a Japanese restaurant, knowing the health benefits of green tea and trying to achieve my ideal weight has made me a fan of green tea all these while :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Jim,
    that's cool. Another green tea fan :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...