Tuesday, 6 January 2009

Japan's Tent City



Watch the video to know the plight of the people who got hit hard in Japan during recession.

Hundreds of homeless people spent the New Year living in a Tokyo park to demand jobs as rising unemployment bites. Contract and temporary workers are bearing the brunt of the Japanese recession as companies slash output. Tens of thousands are predicted to lose their jobs in the first part of 2009. Hundreds of jobless Japanese marched around parliament on Monday demanding work and housing as lawmakers began discussing steps to combat a worsening recession. The government is forecasting that the world's second largest economy will have zero growth in the year ending March 2010.

10 comments:

  1. A friend got laid off yesterday..after slogging for so many years for the company. I felt so sad hearing the news and I hope my friend gets employment soon...or maybe if she's retiring then it's not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched that on TV. I couldn't believe that in Japan they have homeless people. Well, it goes to show how bad the economy has become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @MBL,
    that sucks. Did they give any compensation for your friend? With the economy the way it is, getting a job, esp for those in their 40s might be difficult. :-(

    @ECL,
    I couldn't believe Japan has homeless people until I met them during our trips there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's devastating, no words can describe what they lost. the amount of homeless and jobless rate seems to be on the rise. hope the economy will pick up asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa! Didn't know things were so bad over there. And the Asian countries seemed to be the only ones immune from the recession.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Life Ramblings,
    I sure hope so too.

    @Leon.
    I guess no country is immune to this recession. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a feeling you'll be seeing images like this from America soon. It's being forecast that unemployment will hit 10% by the end of 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Japanese people have a lot of pride and are very respectful of their elders. I'm surprised there are homeless people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Talen,
    scary, isn't it. Everyday there are news in the paper about companies laying off workers. :-(

    @ECL,
    I was surprised too. I guess cultures are changing.

    @Youlin,
    thanks. And love to visit your blog. I'd love to try all your recipes, one day. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...