Saturday, 24 July 2010

Sushi-Zen For Dinner

Let's see... How long was it since we  go out for a Japanese meal? I think the last one for us together, was in Japan in September 2009!

We went to Sushi-Zen on Friday night thinking of trying their omu-raisu but I guess it was a weekday promotion because for Friday and weekends, Sushi-Zen has another promotion, which is the Sushi-Zen Bento Set:
A closer look at what the set offers:

Salad, udon, chawan mushi, sushi, tempura.... I particularly like the texture of tofu coupled with salmon and topped with chuka iidako. That was very nice.
Zaini and I shared this unaju. I like the sushi bento set, but this unaju was a complete letdown for me. The eel was OK but the rice.... I wish they'd use at least short or medium grain rice, if not true Japanese rice for this dish instead of the long grain variety. It is no fun eating Japanese food with crumbly rice, you know. Serving it with long grain rice makes the taste equivalent to one eating rice with sweet soy sauce at home!
Raimie, having been deprived of eating Japanese food for so long, ate so much that night!

Overall, food and service were so-so. We last ate at Sushi-Zen pre-renovation, which was way back in late 2008 or early 2009. This outlet used to have only counter-top table circling the kitchen area for diners to sit, but had since added tables for diners' convenience. I actually prefer seating at those counter but judging from what I saw that night, Malaysian diners prefer to be seated at the table. Almost all were willing to queue and wait instead of being seated at the counter.

Sushi-Zen, although is managed by the same company that managed Sushi Zanmai and Pastai Zanmai chains, used to have different, less frill selection of Japanese food than Sushi Zanmai. At this visit, I can't help noticing that the menu are turning very similar. What's the point of having two different outlet if you are to offer similar food option, I wonder. 

23 comments:

  1. I love Japanese food. The last time I ate Japanese food was just last month. At Hanazen in Jaya One.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a torture to see these pics...we just had green beans n sweet potato for bfast n lunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I eat Japanese food every so often, I always order bento boxes with normally vegetable and shrimp tempura and teriyaki chicken. This all looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, that is a lot of food! Definitely a contest-winning portion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mei Teng,
    How was Hanazen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bengbeng,
    Aiyo! The whole family eat so healthy one. No wonder you so slim. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Poetic Shutterbug,
    It is easier to choose the bento box and plenty of variety to eat usually. Right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the last time i had Japanese cuisine was in Vienna. The lunch sets are an unbeatable value and they have a gigantic selection of sushis in generous portions too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you know to be frank, i love Japanese food very very much,,, but it is only the price that really hinders me from japanese food as often as i should have,,,,usually the four of us easily would cost us at least RM120.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Liff Ramblins,
    Wow! That's nice. A Japanese meal in Vienna! :)
    Will we see the photos soon?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @eugene,
    True, Japanese food is not exactly cheap. But then, our Malaysian fare now also can rival the prices! RM9 for a bowl of noodles at Pappa Rich is not cheap too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am in no way slim... my target is 68kg which i can only hope to achieve by Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eh, I thought you eat japanese food every week?

    ReplyDelete
  14. @bengbeng,
    68kg is my hubby's weight. :)

    Anyway, good luck on achieving the weight and a slimmer you for Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @foong,
    where got already.... after last holiday to Japan.

    I don't count me attempting Japanese recipes as eating Japanese food, anyway. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That looks to be quite the feast! All delicious looking, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm, i actually took about 200 shots on food alone while in europe and i've mixed feelings about whether to start a food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Fitness Diva,
    I enjoyed the bento set very much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Life Ramblings,
    200 food photos! Wow!
    That'll amount for few months worth of blog post I bet. How come you are having mixed feeling about food blogging though?

    ReplyDelete
  20. it's not so ez to maintain 2 active blogs and my DH is not keen on me starting on anor blog. the power is in my hands though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Life Ramblings,
    that's true. :)

    I used to have 4 active blogs, now I barely have time for the two I actually update. :D

    Anyway, if you do start a new one, we'll look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i will eat as much too if I'm deprived for a long time

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Ayie,
    especially if it's the food you love, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...