Saturday, 18 September 2010

Day 3 In Japan -Akita : Bullet Train And Food Display

Day 3 saw us waking up early for our trip to Akita. 

We made reservation on the Komachi Shinkansen at 9.02am but due to my carelessness, we missed the booked train. I was busy taking photos of the arriving shinkansens, I was unable to locate Zaini and Raimie. But worry not - we made another reservation (luckily it was free-of-charge because we were using JR East Pass) for another train at 10.00am. But of course, there was a meltdown and an argument and me being annoyed with Zaini although it was all my fault. LOL
The trip from Ueno Station to Akita Station was about 4 hours. 4 hours on the bullet train is nothing to us. We've spent much longer time on trains from Shin-Osaka all the way to Nagasaki previously! 

Raimie also was pretty much at home in the train because every year, we spent a lot of times in them. He has a seat reserved but sometimes, he likes to sit on the floor and goof around there. 
For me, I like to view the scenery outside. And looking at passing trains zooming by at stations we stopped by was fun too!
Two hungry  "oni"s in Akita Station

Arriving Akita Station, the first order of business was looking for somewhere to eat. We were famished!
 But what do you do if you get a menu you don't understand or don't know how to pronounce? 
Easy! Just drag the staff out and point at the food display and order what you fancy.
I did just that and got our order. Have absolutely no idea what my set name was but it had ebi-furai with tamago, gobo and negi, all bubbling on a clay plate. It was delicious!

A detailed post about the "makan" experience later.

19 comments:

  1. I would get restless if I have to stay put in a train or ferry for four hours. Even a flight time of four hours is just barely passable for me..hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mei Teng,
    One thing good about taking the trains, we can walk around and walk around we did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you go to Akita? It's the middle of nowhere with nothing to do.

    Still, if you enjoyed the Shinkansen......

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha... i can't imagine how to order food that i don't know how to pronounce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Contamination,
    We went to Tazawako (again), and thought of going to Morioka to see a festival (scrapped that one though) and took the Resort Shirakami train.

    Essentially, it was for the train rides. We are "crazy" that way. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. @zezebel,
    you can always ask what is ingredient in the food displayed. The Japanese service staff always entertain our questions about food items.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think going up to Tohoku was time well spent, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @sixmats,
    I think so too.;)

    Will be heading towards Sendai on Sep 21 (my birthday)! Yeay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor Zaini!! You scolded him although it was all your fault? Tsk Tsk : D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! 4 hours!! That was long! But OK lah cos I spent 6 hours in a bus from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh and the bus driver was driving at 40 km/hr. Almost pengsan!! : D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Yes if don't know how to read menu, just point and order according to your fancy. LOL!! Pictures of the dish sure helps! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to your detailed "makan" post! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Word verification is Daiso!!! Are they getting smarter or what?!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @foong,
    I didn't like the way he showed dissatisfaction to me! LOL

    40km/h bus ride. OMG! I would've pengsan too! That's why I don't ride buses much in Japan - they go around that speed. For someone who used to ride the "BMW" and Metro buses, the buses' speed here is killing me! :D

    Wah! Daiso came out! Cool verification, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you asked them in Japanese or English?
    I heard they don't like to talk other in Japanese kan?

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Zezebel,
    Actually, most of them have at least a basic understanding in English and more people are willing to talk in English to tourists because they too want to practise it (much to my chagrin because I want to practise my Japanese!)

    I tried to talk in Japanese and aalways delighted when Japanese assume I understand the language. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there
    I found your website via google search while carik carik tentang Ultraman Kids ^_^y Lovely blog you have here and since im mad about Japan myself I know ill enjoy reading your blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. @cuteandcurls,
    Thanks and glad you enjoyed reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think I also can stay put in the train for so long though I did fly for 14-16hrs so maybe it can work for me too.

    Btw, nice photo there Lina!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...