Monday, 31 January 2011

Food We Ate : Ekiben From Akita Station

After spending two nights in Akita on Day 3 and 4 of our vacation in Japan; it's time for us to head back to Tokyo. Taking the shinkansen from Akita to Tokyo is another excuse for us to enjoy the ekiben sold at the station.
Ekiben covers are always interesting. I think I should start collecting them (and add more junk to my current pile of all Japanese-related junk!)
What we got for lunch, enjoyed whilst zipping through the country, viewing the breathtaking scenery out of the shinkansen window.
I wasn't too crazy about the bento in the first photo, with what seems like dried fish or something in it, preferring the latter - the one with salmon and ikura (salmon roe).

You know what I'd like for a bento now? Those lovely anago bento and oysters bento we tried in Hiroshima. mmmmmm........

16 comments:

  1. What I really like about Japan apart from the anime, the culture, the traditions and all are their neat & tidy way of presenting food even in packages and there is always an abundance of packed fresh meals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @cuteandcurls,
    exactly what I love about Japan too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had this type of bento before at a train station. I can't blame you for wanting to keep the covers as momentos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @AVCr8teur,
    Regions have different style of bento sold at their stations and trains.

    I wrote about appreciating Japan through the eki-ben earlier.

    What type of bento have you tried.:)

    Yes, and I do have a few bentoe covers, boxes, stashed away in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eki-ben! They are EXPENSIVE! but they're all pretty yummy.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Cindy,
    They sure are. I usually pay 400-500yen more than I would eating at Yayoi-ken. :D

    But they are yummy, and I always got excited trying out the regional ekiben at different regions so the price was always overlooked. *^-^*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Utsunomiya Station claims to be the first station selling ekiben in 1885.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Bengbeng,
    They taste good too. Well, the bento in the last photo taste much more yummy that the second last. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! I am hungry now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like the illustrations of the covers. they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @foong,
    I bet you are surrounded with a lot of CNY goodies now so no problem - just eat whatever is nearby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Life Ramblings,
    They sure are. And we are keeping the covers as souvenirs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Yoshi,
    Utsunomiya Station was the first one selling ekiben? So, from a simple onigiri in 1885, it now evolved to more elaborate fares. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely bento. You know how to travel. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @sofj,
    Coming from you, Thanks a bunch! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...