Sunday, 16 January 2011

Food We Ate : My Son's Favourite Lunch On-The-Go

It's pretty easy feeding my son during our vacation in Japan because what he likes to eat can pretty much be found everywhere; from the nearest konbini to depachika to food courts.

It's a food item that can be easily eaten while on-the-go and we appreciate the convenience. What is it? It's onigiri!

Onigiri, also known as Omusubi, is a snack of Japanese rice formed into triangle or oval shapes and often wrapped in nori (edible seaweed). Onigiri traditionally is filled with umeboshi, salted salmon or bonito flakes moistened with soy sauce. Of course, there are plenty of other fillings to choose from now.
Raimie with two balls of onigiri bought at a speacialty onigiri shop.
Enjoying a quick lunch of onigiri bought in a depachika, while comfortably sitting in a train
More onigiri! Quick snack while waiting for the train. Munch munch munch

What do you like to eat while on-the-go?

16 comments:

  1. The first time I ate onigiri was home-made ones courtesy of a friend. Tasted nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mei Teng,
    Lucky you! I never had an onigiri made by anyone other than those store bought or the ones I made myself. ^-^*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment! Big fan of onigiri too, but living in Miyazaki I have to say nikumaki onigiri is my favourite. ;) (Though of the normal ones, tuna mayo is a fast fave, but I'll happily eat any that come my way. ;P)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ri,
    And thank you for commenting back! :)

    I like onigiri and all, but after a while, I will be like - just give me some bread already! LOL
    My son has no problem devouring them everyday, if we let him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that rice. I watched Seven Samurai where rice are treated like gold. From there onward I found a new appreciation of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks like he's enjoying it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @VanillaSeven,
    Yes, rice is precious. There is saying that goes something like - a grain of rice is a farmer's sweat or something.

    I would not waste any, that's why all my leftover, I made sure my hubby finished them all. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always have a bunch of snacks like cakes, biscuits, sandwiches, etc that I take with me places.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @LR,
    You sure are well prepared. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @foong,
    Aiyah! You eat so many nice things oredi... still want a simple onigiri ah? XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm. I don't snack while on the go. I would rather have a stand-up meal (Tachigui/立ち食い) on the platform. Alternatively sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's filling and good tasting, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Yoshi,
    And for some reason, I never had a stand-up meal in Japan, ever! Maybe because it all seems to consist of ramen dishes? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...