Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Tazawako By Day


If you remember, I posted up some sunset photos of the Lake earlier. If you don't, then check out my post : Sunset In Tazawako.

Lake Tawaza is the Japan's deepest lake with its depth of 423 metres (by comparison, Tokyo Tower is 333metres tall & Tokyo Skytree is 634metres). The lake is 20km in circumference  and has an  almost a perfect circular shape. Its water used to be one of the clearest in Japan, together with Lake Mashu in Hokkaido, but is now slightly polluted since the construction of a dam in 1940.  The appearance of the lake and its sapphire-blue colored water tends to change dramatically with the sunlight and the clouds, creating a rather mysterious atmosphere. This might be the origin of the most famous legend of the area, that of Tatsuko.

According to legend, Tatsuko was a beautiful girl who prayed to retain her beauty forever. She drank the water of the lake and turned into a big dragon and sank to the bottom of the lake.Just google them up if you need to know more about the legend. Or maybe, head over to Tazawako Tourism Association's English blog for more on the legend.
The lake area. The lake can be viewed either by taking the ferry (or by paddling the swan boats, if you chose to), walking or renting a bike to circle the lake.
There's a rest stop near the lake,where one can find places to eat and buy souvenirs. Raimie had a very nice goma ice-cream there, and his Mommy and Daddy went on a free food sampling binge in one of the shops.
 If you do decide to walk or cycle around, the road is quite narrow so beware of approaching cars! But no worries - when we were walking there, we met quite a number of runners doing their evening run and cars were careful of them.
A campsite nearby the lake area. Fancy camping there? I would love to try someday, after I armed myself with plenty of mosquito repellent, that is. :[
Remember the dragon head in the earlier post? Well, the two adults traveling with Raimie just couldn't resist poking our heads into stuff we weren't suppose to!

Anyhoo, anyone interested in Sakura beer or limited edition pink sake - click the link here and here. Don't mope around and be all doom and gloom in the face of adversity (I'm talking about the March 11 earthquake & tsunami) Support local industry and drink some booze, I say.

BTW, Check out Ichigoichielove's Show Me Japan Vol1 Issue 21 this week.

32 comments:

  1. Nice lake. Japan is very clean. Every country would have their very own interesting legends and folklore stories. Noticed its more about women stories have not heard much about men yet. Our very own legend of Mahsuri in Langkawai, HongKong's Amah Rock and Gundaling Hill in Berastagi, Indonesia. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Bananazஇ,
    Because it is more tragic. Don't you think so?

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL the two adults poking the heads, we enjoy to see playful adults here :D I am always impressed by your photos, too. Thank you for the link as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a beautiful lake and an interesting legend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TTA,
    Thanks for that compliment and thank you for dropping by.

    Hope tourists won't shy away from the area because of the earthquake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @LR,
    It sure is a beautiful lake. The legend makes it more interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire you that you know very well about Japanese legend. By the way. did you take photo of Tatuko's golden statue?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @minor,
    I did my research on every place I'm visiting or have visited. That makes my trip more meaningful, I think. ^^

    No, funnily enough - no photo of the golden statue. But I got a postcard! ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's the same lake you got naked, right?
    What a memory!? Ha ha...

    Oh I see, the baby dragon makan your son.
    This time, the mother dragon makan you and your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @London Caller,
    Good memory! :)

    LOL on the dragon comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful lake and love the legend about the beautiful girl, who turned into a dragon and sank to the bottem of the lake.

    Japan Australia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to stay there over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Japan Australia,
    The lake sure has an interesting legend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @sixmats,
    I stayed a night there in 2009 and escaped Tokyo's summer heat. It was sure nice. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are some really neat pictures.

    You really should install IntenseDebate to make it easier to reply to individual comments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Contamination,
    Yeah I should. But you know me. I'm too lazy to tinker around and think. ;p

    I'll get around and do it... maybe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice beautiful lake! I like!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! The legend is interesting! : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL! Putting your head inside the dragon's head? Dangerous! Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @foong,
    You should visit it someday. And to tempt you some more, they have mixed gender onsen over in that part. Who knows, you might meet a Nicole Kidman lookalike while soaking in the onsen there (or her grandma!) LOL

    Dangerous if the dragon bites. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think if you like Japanese lakes.
    You're fall in love with British lakes.
    The background settings are very good!
    Really - I really enjoying walking in the countrysides.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @London Caller,
    I think I would. :)

    Once upon a time, when I was still young and bright-eyed, I planned to visit Scotland. Haven't reach the place yet, but if I live long enough, I'd get there someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It never fails that one can find food and souvenir anywhere in Japan. My favorites are in the underground train stations. I've never seen such cute little boats. I think it would be more fun paddling around the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @AVCr8teur,
    Yes, it is soooo easy to find both in Japan.

    Paddling around the lake would be fun but tiring! :P

    ReplyDelete
  25. You could give me access to your blog and I'd do it for you.

    Trust me... MWAHAHAHAHAAAA!

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Contamination,
    Hmmmm... can i really trust a green troll (or whatever that is you are). :p

    ReplyDelete
  27. I will have to pay it a visit the next time I'm in the area.

    Japan Australia

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Japan Australia,
    Definitely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the great read. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Vacation Remix,
    Why, thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I didn't forget to add your third entry for SMJ!!! I just thought I'd spread them out a bit... and the spreading has taken longer than expected. Either way I have decided we should go sightseeing together sometime because I too would have stuck my head in that dragon's mouth. :P
    I appreciate that you seem to do sightseeing properly! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Ri,
    I take you to where we can stick our heads in all sorts of monsters head, and you take me purikura. Deal? :p

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...