Monday, 16 May 2011

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park

We visited the Peace Memorial Park one time way back in 2008. I've posted up posts on the Children's Peace Monument and the A-Bomb Dome earlier and I just thought I should show other memorials and monuments we visited in the Memorial Park. There are plenty of monuments,memorials and museums there that you can visit and learn more about the tragic atomic bombing in 1945. 
The A-Bomb Dome.
The Peace Flame with the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum in the background.

The Peace Flame is a monument to the victims of the bomb that destroyed Hiroshima, but it has an additional symbolic purpose. The flame has burned continuously since it was lit in 1964, and will remain lit until all nuclear bombs on the planet are destroyed and the planet is free from the threat of nuclear annihilation.

The Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum  is the primary museum in the park dedicated to educating visitors about the bomb. The Museum has exhibits and information covering the build up to war, the role of Hiroshima in the war up to the bombing, and extensive information on the bombing and its effects, along with substantial memorabilia and pictures from the bombing. The building also offers some marvelous views of the Memorial Cenotaph, Peace Flame, and A-Bomb Dome. reference from Wikipedia.
 The Memorial Cenotaph. In the background - the Peace Pond and the A-Bomb Dome.

Near the center of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park is a concrete, saddle-shaped monument that covers a cenotaph holding the names of all of the people killed by the bomb. The arch shape represents a shelter for the souls of the victims. The cenotaph carries the epitaph, "Rest in Peace, for the error shall not be repeated". The Memorial Cenotaph was one of the first memorial monuments built on open field on August 6, 1952.
And the last photo in my collection of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park - Peace Bell.

The bell was made by bell-caster Masahiko Katori, holder of important intangible cultural assets (a living national treasure). On its surface a world map without national boundaries symbolising "one world" is embossed. The place where the log hits the bell shows the atomic energy symbol, expressing hope for the abolition of atomic and hydrogen bombs. On the opposite side is a mirror to reflect the heart of the person who rings the bell.

One can spend the whole day there, silently and respectfully visiting the myriad of memorials and monuments there. We were there for only half a day so we weren't able to see all we should see. And with a 6 year old at the time of our visit, I didn't think visiting the museum would be appropriate for him yet. Maybe when he's a tad bigger and able to understand and ask questions about the purpose of the memorial and the tragic loss of lives due to human lust & greed for power.

24 comments:

  1. Wow, 6 and your boy has visited so many places, he must be a real adventurer by now!

    p/s: Nice architectures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Alice,
    No lah... he just had and has the opportunity to travel around Japan a lot only. Didn't even manage to cover much of Malaysia yet. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a moving experience for me to visit the Hiroshima Peace Park. The park is dedicated to the legacy of Hiroshima as the first city in the world to suffer a nuclear attack and to the memories of the bomb`s victims.

    Japan Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. This place is both so beautiful and so sad.
    I admit, I used to be ambivalent about nuclear weapons. Not anymore since I went to Hiroshima.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Japan Australia,
    It was for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @David,
    The Park does indeed a beautiful yet a sad place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really want to visit here, a real sad place but love the architecture and innovation that went behind the monuments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Yoshimi,
    That's an interesting point. I've never really thought about the architectural innovation of the Park before. I've researched about the Dome and the area pre-bombing.

    Well, maybe I should learn about the existing feature more too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I visited Hiroshima when I was a young child. Saw the reminders of the horrors of the A-bomb. Was traumatized by the images back then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mei Teng,
    As much as I want to learn about the history and let my son learn about it too, him being traumatized by the images was exactly what I want to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pictures Lina

    Reminds me that I have to pull my finger out and travel more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the one world concept.
    Can you convey this message to Japanese Embassy?
    When can we go there without showing them any passports?
    One world mah? No need passports one!
    Oh, you know the meaning of "mah" right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Contamination,
    Come to Malaysia. Then I'll have an excuse to travel in own country with you and your family. I need to pull my finger out for any travel in my own country! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  14. @London Caller,
    I just want One currency concept so that I won't need to worry about Yen being too high against our RM. Money, mah. Anywhere oso same. XD

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lina :) *waves hand*

    Its been so long since I visited your blog! I must say your visit to Hiroshima looked so peaceful from all the photos you took. You and family have visited so extensively in Japan, I cant wait to see more of your travels there soon. When your son grows up I am sure he would want to learn more about Hiroshima's history.

    Enjoy the public holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Cuteandcurls,
    Hi dearie! Back from Brunei already? Has it been a month already? my, my, my... time sure flies.

    Don't worry. Plenty of stuff to post about Japan. I just hope people are still interested in reading them. ^^

    I hope Raimie will want to learn more too. History is important for us to learn. Just as I'd want him to learn about Hiroshima, I want him to learn about the Japanese Occupation to Malaya too.

    Yup, enjoying the public holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eurupe got Euro.
    Asia should also have Asian currency.
    First, we need to think of the name.

    Ah Sial? Good name? It means "Ah, tak ada untung".
    Let me suggest to IMF.
    You second me ah!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @London Caller,
    Hahaha!You are too funny!

    Sure, sure. I second you anytime. But with the rape charge going on, IMF got time to think about our "Ah Sial" or not? Afterwards kena tell to hou sei! Bwahaha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep! Its been a month since now and Im back although I am missing my family again but I'll be seeing them come August ni. Nevermind you have a legion of fans here who loves reading about your adventures in Japan, at least, we're reading from a true experience and not some magazine or travel channel :) Its good to know your Raimie has an interest in History, its a good idea for him to know about the Japanese occupation in Malaya and of the bombing on Hiroshima.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @cuteandcurls,
    August jumpa lagi? Eh? When are you due? Dah due ke masa tu? ^^ Kaypoh lah pulak. Or is it for the Hari Raya?

    "Legion of fans" you say. Macam popular lah pulak! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. Im due in August cun cun time Posa so Raya this year Im not going back home but Insya Allah, next year I will. Thats why some of my family members will be visiting me i said while visiting, they can shop till they drop during the Raya sales hehehe and shop for my baby too :-D Ambik kesempatan dalam kesempitan kan? Hehehe ....eh kan betul you're popular! Im sure everyone would agree with me too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. @cuteandcurls,
    Tersedak makcik orang cakap I popular. Wakaka

    Wah, Raya shopping for the Mommy and Baby this year. That's gonna be fun!

    And sure seronok when family members coming and celebrate the Raya here with you guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was hoping they'd celebrate Raya with me but takde lah :-( cos some have work commitments and for my parents its rumah issues. Raya they'll be in Brunei unfortunately ...but its ok next year Raya ill go home :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. @cuteandcurls,
    ah... but they'll spend the puasa and berbuka with you. OK lah...

    Next year, baby will be celebrating Raya in Brunei lah ye? Nice. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...