Wednesday, 19 October 2011

The Shogun Mound

More on sites to see at Bessho Onsen.

There are plenty of stuff to see in the few hundreds metres from the hotel we were staying in. With the information board on all the sites in Japanese and English, it is easy to appreciate the sites here after reading about their history even if one goes there without much research beforehand.

The Shogun Mound - 
During the Kofun period (250 - 538 bc) this 10m diametre 3m tall circular mound was constructed as the tomb for powerful local rulers.  It's also calle Koremochizuka.

In 969,  during the reign of Emperor Reizen, a female demon named "Koyo" lived on Mount Tagakushiyama and was tormenting local folks with her sorcery. In response to an imperial order, Shogun Yogo successfully destroyed after praying for success at the Kitamuki Kannon and the Koremochizuka mound is said to be his burial site.

23 comments:

  1. Wow, sound like a sacred place, kinds spooky too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So ancient. I love visiting such old historical sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The place looks spooky! @ - @ Scaring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Alice,
    It look a bit spooky especially because we passed by the area when it was almost sundown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lisa,
    Me too! And having access to the sites information would be great to really appreciate the place. Bessho Onsen is nice because there are English signboards in all the sites we visited. Totally educational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ristinw,
    Quite scary when one know it's a burial mound. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Japan...such a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your stay... and have fun with the entire family...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @WebbieLady,
    Thanks. Will definitely have fun while we are there. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow it felt so good. but what if the night has come?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Very old and love the story behind it :)

    Japan Australia

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ciids,
    When night comes, we all return to the comfort of our room. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Japan Australia,
    Plenty of old lores abound in this area which makes the place more interesting for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I was a junior high school student, I studied "Kofun" but my friends and I wasn't interested in it.
    Now I would like to study it again for enjoy a trip much more. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. @cocomino,
    I love history! I enjoyed studying them and learning about the past. It used to be one of my strong subjects at school.

    And am enjoying learning a little bit of Japan history through our travels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Huh!? You visited a burial ground on your Japan holiday?

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ECL,
    It's located right smack in the middle of the town area. xD

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such an old burial site dated back to B.C. era! I think I would be afraid to wander up there by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @AVCr8teur,
    There's a lot of ancient sites to see at this area, surrounded by ryokans and bath houses too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, sounds spooky but interesting! I like!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. So far, no encounter with ghosts in Japan? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. @foong,
    And stupid me never realize the place was supposed to be spooky until you all mentioned about it. I just viewed it as a historical site. ahahah

    Japan is fortunately sterile of any unworldly encounter for me. xD

    I better not go there with you, though! hihi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...