Wednesday, 28 March 2012

First Meals

I just realised that I haven't started any post on what we ate while vacationing in Japan last year.  How remiss of me! About time to start posting food photos, in between travel stories. No?
First meal, upon arriving to Japan. A late supper bought at a konbini. The melon pan was for Raimie. Plus a cheap 105yen 1ltr pack grape (I think) drink.
First breakfast in Japan - we would eat this type of breakfast often as this is what is being offered/served at Toyoko Inn, the hotel chain that we like to stay at (or is it in?) Though I have to admit, I can only last a week eating onigiris before I start wanting only bread for my breakfast! Thankfully, they offer those too.

It's easy to spot a foreigner at the breakfast hall at this hotel. By foreigner I mean Asian tourists and not Westerners. Due to the limited space, Japanese guests don't usually linger at the breakfast table and eat just enough - 3 onigiris, some side dishes and a cup of tea and they usually don't make a second trip to the buffet table. Us foreigners sit around, hog the breakfast table and eat to last us until dinner! I kid you not! "It's free so might as well scarf everything and get value for money for it" mentality should totally be left behind back home, lah...

Zaini and I, who are foreign tourists ourselves would scoff at these people and mutter "sheesh, these foreign tourists. Why can't they learn to be like the Japanese". A case of  being a Japanese-wannabe? Visited Japan way too many times?
First lunch in Japan was at Shin-Yokohama Station. Nothing too adventurous; we went to Tenya and ate tempura, ate rice, ate some udon too. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know there's proper name for those but I'm lazy to put it down.
These, our first ekiben. Eaten on our journey from Shin-Yokohama to Hakata Station, taking the shinkansen. Guess which one is Raimie's?

32 comments:

  1. Tenya is popular among us and I also like tempura so much.
    You must have enjoyed tendon.(天丼) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like very delicious. Did you enjoy them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Japan has amazing food. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japan sure does.

      And those we can eat, we devour them!

      Gosh, I'm missing the food.

      Delete
  4. Ahhh Japanese food.. I love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been waiting for the food posts until my panda neck also long oredy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Panda got neck meh? ;p

      Delete
    2. Very short neck so you can't see. But now can see cos long oredy waiting for your food post hahaha!!

      Delete
    3. Panda with long neck. *scared*. LOL

      Delete
  6. LOL @ Japanese-wannabe. Criticizing foreigners it seems! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or you can say... lupa daratan. LOL

      Delete
  7. So yummy and colorful the food!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a feast to eyes and to the tastebud. :)

      Delete
  8. All your meal are so nicely packaged. It is not so bad trying to mimic Japanese behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good things is good to be emulated. The not-so-good should be used as a reminder for us not to do it ourselves. No? ;p

      Delete
  9. It takes you a week to miss bread? It takes me roughly 21 hours. :D

    "By foreigner I mean Asian tourists and not Westerners." Exactly. The Westerners are at McDonald's, vacuuming Big Macs for breakfast. (>_<) This particular Westerner is at the nearest coffee shop, fortifying herself with caffeine to survive her students' daily assault on English as she is spoke.

    More pics please!

    PS: Your post reminded me of this recent article. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee... That I could not survive long without.

      p.s After your language peeve rant, I'm trying to be mindful of the sentences I typed.

      The article hit a bullseye with me! And you know what? It's not only food that I ate that I take photos of, I even take photos of the toilets I "visited" when we were vacationing in Japan!

      Delete
    2. I see no problem taking photos of food. Why not? It isn't just to glut but also to help remember the delicious taste of the food you ate. :D

      Delete
  10. everything looks good!! My Japanese sister in law treats us many times to her delicious country foods...yum!!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you.

      Thanks for following. Will check on yours pronto. ;)

      Delete
  11. Food is one of the best parts of any vacation and what better place for food than Japan :)

    Japan Australia

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and Cocomino are making me so hungry! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL

      Time to go out and eat some Japanese food! ^^

      Delete
  13. Hahaahaaa... like your comment about Asian tourists hogging the breakfast table... quite true...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunate, but so true. :(

      I always wish we don't do that. It's understandable if it's a big place with plenty of tables. But we sometimes can be quite oblivious of courtesy to others who wait.

      Delete
  14. Looks good. I also think you shouldn't worry about people eating and going. Part of it is culture, but being a business hotel and all, many people are also just getting a quick bite to eat before they go to work. As for other tourists, my only assumption is that they are just trying to get out and look around the city. Personally, I don't find the Toyoko Inn food to be good. I just ate quickly and got out so I could enjoy the good food around the city. :D

    Oh, the eki-ben also looks good. Good choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I get it that it's a business hotel. It's small. And there needs to be a certain courtesy by guests to acknowledge that fact and let everyone enjoy a bite,not just the early ones who would plant their butt at the breakfast table and deprive others a chance to enjoy some breakfast.

      And well, for less than 10,000yen a night; the free breakfast at Toyoko-Inn suits me just fine.^^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...