Friday, 13 July 2012

A Border Guardhouse

This border guardhouse of Marugame domain stood at the border of Sanuki (present day Kagawa) and Iyo (present day Ehime prefecture) on a main road that bordered the ocean on one side and the mountain on the other. I guess it was that way so that a traveller can't evade the border guards. 

The need for the border guards was, way back in the Edo period (1600 - 1867) unauthorised travels between feudal domains were prohibited and checkpoints were established along the main thoroughfares at the borders of the domains. And we complain about paying tolls at highways now! kekeke

The guardhouses, like their storehouses; are decidedly official looking. Both for security purpose and also to show the feudal lords power (and wealth), I suppose?

There were two guardhouses at the original location - one manned by the domain retainers and the other was manned by local people on compulsory duty.
Middle age woman badly squinting against the sunlight for this particular shot. Ignore her and focus on the house.

The stone marker in front says : "From this point on, you are in Marugame territory".

Right across this border guardhouse is a fisherman's house. That fisherman's house post should have been posted after this post but then I'm soft. Somebody asked (pestered more like) for it so the post was up earlier. Happy now?

19 comments:

  1. Hi Lina! How are you? Oh it's been sooo long...

    I like the cleanliness of their architecture, very simple but functional. It's nice to see these places again in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayie!

      When is your family trip to Ghili Museum? Soon, I hope? :)

      Delete
  2. It does look pretty nice and a sign of the feudal lords power. I wouldn't mind living in one of these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the house too.

      It does seem to have more privacy than the villagers house too.

      Delete
  3. Heh heh. Guilty but happy! :D

    This house is actually a nicer living space than the storehouse that I fell in love with. So then. We put my books in the storehouse, The Hero in the fisherman's house (till he's dried off) and I will occupy this one. Don't you think that's an excellent plant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent plan.

      If we add cherry trees and an iris garden, it would be an excellent planTTT, too.

      Delete
    2. That's an excellent plan! Especially as I don't think books go well with water, the two houses really can be an ideal housing plan for you!

      Cherry tree, iris and maple trees too, please!

      p.s. Can I come and visit? :p

      Delete
    3. It's not a question of "can", it's a matter of must. You MUST come. Come to think of it, isn't there a third house somewhere near that we can turn into a permanent guest house? :D

      Maple tree? Yes, ma'am!

      Delete
    4. We can borrow that home for the elderly up in the mountain. ^^

      Delete
  4. We didn't get to bring our students to Shikoku Mura due to the torrential rains...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pity.

      So where did you guys ended up at?

      Delete
  5. Everytime I want to comment on your awesome blogs Lina, guess what happen? Hehehe ahhhh you see I have a future internet surfer in the training hehe my girl can never leave me alone, one day I will post a photo I caught of her squeezing through to touch my laptop with your blog on the screen hehehe. You know looking at these photos remind me of these novels I used to read based during the feudal time and I just love reading the description of the places and houses and this just fits it perfectly of what I pictured.

    Right, Im off for a long break to visit my in-law. Would love to send you a card if its ok with you, could you email me your address tak? Will be back in good ol Kay-El in September. So before I sign off, I want to wish you and family, Selamat menunaikan ibadah Puasa yang akan datang (kalau tak sempat greet you) and in advance I wish you Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri Maaf Zahir Batin. 2 tahun beturut I tak sempat makan rendang dan ketupat hu hu hu ..duit raya pun tak dapat ..oops i mean for Isabella ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear daughter is like Mommy! :)

      Safe travel to you and your family. So you will be fasting there and spending the Hari Raya there too?

      Takpe... masak lah rendang & ketupat for your in-laws. kikiki

      p.s. Selamat menyambut Ramadhan! :)

      Delete
  6. It looks very large. I wonder how many guards stayed here at one time. I sure would hate to travel all this way across the mountains in the old days and be denied entry because of improper paperwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I does look spacious but that of course depends on how many guards were stationed there. Too many, then it won't be nice and comfy!

      I hate to have my path blocked because of improper paperwork too.

      Living in the feudal ages sure wasn't easy.

      Delete
  7. Did the guards live there too? The place looks like a house to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another cute little house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting house with history. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...