Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Autumn In My Heart

Urayamashi
Utsukushu natte
Chiri momiji

How much I envy
the maple leaf, which turning
beautiful, then falls
                                                Kagami Shiko
Maple tree viewing in autumn, much like cherry blossoms in spring enjoys a wide following in Japan. 
Technically, the maple tree is "kaede" in Japanese, derived from "kaerude" or frog's hand; after the shape of the leaves. "Momiji" refers to the leaves when it changes colour in autumn. "Momiji" was derived from "momizu" which meant to change colour, that is - to turn red or yellow.

The change in colour of the leaves varies according to latitude and Hokkaido is the earliest to experience it and Kyushu the latest. 

We finally had the opportunity to view such lovely burst of colours when we visited Japan in late-autumn in 2011; on our 8th trip to Japan. We were absolutely awestruck with the beauty.

Spring and cherry blossoms are a lovely water-colour painting for me and maple leaves and autumn is a vibrant oil painting.

I love them both.
Remember this shot? I posted it up way earlier. One of my favourite photos in our collection, for obvious reason. ^^

20 comments:

  1. That's good because you also like red leaves in Japan. I miss the Japnese autumn now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will U be heading home soon, cocomino?

      Delete
  2. Ha, now I have one more reason to like maples, because I love frogs ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You like frogs????

      I don't really mind them, but frogs sure make a whole lot of din at night. :-P

      Delete
    2. You know what we do to those noisy buggers here? EAT THEM!

      Delete
    3. That's sacrilege! :D

      I'm a vegetarian anyway ;)

      Delete
  3. Love the changing of the leaves in Japan and we are lucky to have so many great places to see them in the mountains of Gifu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can enjoy Gifu's autumn someday :-)

      Delete
    2. You have to experience it one day Lina along with the Takayama Autumn festival.

      Delete
  4. Your comparison of spring as a water colour and autumn as an oil painting is so perfectly spot on. I love both, too, but if I were forced at gunpoint to choose only one, you know which one it would be! ^^

    That last photo will make any heart melt. If it doesn't, you're not human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get bombarded with autumnal photos by a certain someone soon! :-D

      Glad you liked that last photo of mine. ^^

      Delete
  5. hi there kak Lina, I`ve never been to Japan so far, but I wish to go up there during Spring or Autumn, wud luv to feel and witness the beauty of Autumn in Japan...

    I`m pretty sure I`m so into ancient city architecture like in Kyoto... I`m more into history junkie thingy hehee... Owh, next year must visit Japan also... My dream trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ask me, any season is good season to visit Japan. Yes! Even during it's rainy season. :D

      Why not make a running/vacationing trip to Japan one day? Tokyo marathon early in the year or Osaka or Kobe in autumn.
      Soon actually. ^^ Nara has her own marathon in Dec ad does Okinawa. Nagano mid year. Sambil menyelam, minum air kata orang. :-D

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. hehe... Of course la. He was smiling and posing for mommy. :D

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure you have many happy memories of your grandmother. God bless. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Lisa. ^^

      Delete
  8. Both of the pictures are beautiful. They are the beauty of Autumn ^^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...