Monday, 22 October 2012

Osaka, Late At Night

Last year, we made an impromptu decision to cut-short our visit to Shikoku and use the last day of our 7-day JR Pass to make a trip to...

Hakodate, which is in Hokkaido! Woot!

There's a night train from Osaka to Tokyo that we can take (and enabling us to save paying a hotel room for 1 night) and then, a train from Tokyo to Aomori then to Hakodate. Yeah, not exactly straight forward but hey! We enjoy our train travel and we enjoyed the countless hours doing them!

Anyhoo, that was why we were spending a late night out wandering around in Osaka one fine autumn night in 2011. We were killing time before we can board our train.

Earlier in the day, we were in Takamatsu, then we spent a bit of time in Nara before stopping in Kyoto and finally made our way to Osaka. A full day!
Killed time drinking and relaxing at McD drinking free coffee. They were giving out free coffee coupons that night. Suweeeettttt!!!
Then, gave Raimie a chance to chill-off at Yodobashi's game section, playing games. What else? xD A treat for a being such a good sport being hauled by his parents and walking/sight-seeing until late night!

That boy has endurance and patience. A good trait for long-distance runner, IMHO. ^^

psst... he followed us to a running clinic twice. Managed to do a 3K run/walk on the first session and a 4K run/walk (he ran a whole mile before agreeing to stop to walk!) with us. Me, happy! :)
 Somewhere in Osaka. Just walking around, looking at Christmas illumination to pass time. ^^
 and then, we got here!
I know this is where most people will take a photo, but if you come here; you simply must take a photo with the Glico Man! Why? Because Lina says so! wakaka Anyway, Glico Man has been here since 1935! He's OLD!

But seriously, wouldn't you want to? Come at night. It's more awesome at night than during the day. Compare this photo with the one I took during the day.
Walked past many restaurants, some still open, some closing. We were there quite late, at around 11.00pm but see how lively the place still is.
Saw some giant octopus. Oh yeah, the giant crab is somewhere near too.
Dotonburi red demon. Red demons selling takoyaki. hehe
At a tayokayi joint that's still open. You go to Osaka. You eat takoyaki. Period. Ahahah. Malaysians, think  Osaka like you'd think of Penang. Food heaven!
The world's first oblong ferris wheel with Ebessan for good luck(?). With Ebessan; though not obvious in my photo is Donpen - a penguin mascot.

The red capsule cars circling Ebessan kinda look like an octopus' suction cups, don't you think? ^^
I already got a giant octopus up there. Here's a dragon. The giant crab shot is somewhere in this blog... I don't have any of the giant puffer fish though. I think... The dragon joint sells ramen, if I did my reading correctly.
Err... not too sure what this place is, exactly.

So how was Osaka? FUN! LOUD!

24 comments:

  1. I love Dotonbori at night. I went to the northern area last time I was there. Have a post to write about that too. I love the south a LOT more. That dragon? Kinryu Ramen, I think. Gold Dragon Ramen. The golden boy in a strange position? That's Biliken-man. He is a good luck charm for shops to get more business. I'm sure I wrote a bit about him in my old Osaka posts. I still have that mascots of Osaka post coming up though... Please be patient. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no no. Not fair. You're applying double standards! You're impatient for autumn leaves but you're asking us to be patient with you? Hmph. Write that Osaka post already! :D

      Delete
    2. I concur with Ru. Absolute and in complete agreement. Write that Osaka post already! LOL

      Delete
    3. The mascot post will come. Thinking of the best time to release it. Got more time sensitive things to publish first. Maybe a special Friday post for me since you requested it. :)

      Oh, I'm pretty patient for the autumn leaves. I don't want the cold winter to come. :P

      Delete
    4. OK, we'll try and be patient. ^^

      The earlier autumn comes, the earlier winter beckons, eh? ;p

      Delete
  2. Oh I love Osaka already!! I like chart dragon!! No panda? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pandas are in Tokyo's shitamachi (the old part of Tokyo where Ueno Zoo is located). Come visit us! ;)

      Delete
    2. Yeah Panda Foong. Visit Ueno if you want to see your relatives! LOL

      Delete
  3. So how many photos you took with the Glico Man? It does look better at night! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as much as I'd like to. There are others waiting to take photos too, ya know. ;p

      Delete
  4. I don't know any of these Osaka icons. I just know that I love teaching students from Osaka. They have a great sense of humour and are far less uptight than us Tokyoites! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are they icons? I just went snap happy not really knowing what they are until I look about them afterwards. heh heh

      Delete
  5. That last photo that you're not sure about? That looks like a food place, open 24 hours a day, where you can order (amongst others) kushikatsu (串カツ) or deep-fried kebab. Instant cholesterol death. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Don't you love the kanji 串 for skewer? It looks just like food on a skewer! :D

      Delete
    2. Ru Sensei!
      I will remember that kanji now! :)

      Delete
  6. Osaka is amazing at night and I love the atmosphere of Dontobori with the Blade Runner nightscapes and neon lights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried "Yakiniku" in Osaka? It's really nice. There are Korean restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. We concentrate on Japanese food. ^^

      There are plenty of Korean restaurants here too. :)

      Delete
  8. Glico Man looks like a runner too! Luckily for the free coffee to keep you up to enjoy the night. With all the neon lights, it could almost qualify as day. I love visiting lively night cities such as this and the unusual shaped ferry wheel looks like a must to ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I rode that oblong feris wheel but I only realize what it is after we took the photo and look for info on it. xD

      Delete
  9. I haven't made it to Osaka yet. Maybe on my next trip. You look like you had alot of fun there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You simply must go there! Osaka is FUN! :)

      Delete
  10. It's nice you and your family enjoyed in Osaka. You are vigorous than the Gurico man.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Osaka is fun!
      But then, so is Tokyo. ^^

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...