Friday, 9 November 2012

First In Asia

A bit of stale news for running enthusiasts, but anyway congrats to Tokyo!

An excerpt from World Marathon Majors website:
Tokyo Marathon will be the Sixth Event in the Series, along with Boston, London, Berlin, Chicago, and New York City. 

The World Marathon Majors® (WMM) today announced the addition of the Tokyo Marathon to the World Marathon Majors Series. The seventh Tokyo Marathon, which will be held on February 24, 2013, will be the first race in the 2013 – 2014 World Marathon Majors scoring period. The Tokyo Marathon is the first World Marathon Majors event to be based in Asia. 

The Tokyo Marathon is organized by the Tokyo Marathon Foundation and established in 2007. Tokyo Marathon hosts nearly 36,000 participants on a tour of Tokyo’s iconic tourist attractions. Through its theme, “The Day We Unite,” the Tokyo Marathon unites runners, volunteers, and spectators on race day. Following the 2011 race, the Tokyo Marathon instituted “Tsunagu,” a companion charity program for the Tokyo Marathon. Donations go to charitable activities in various fields according to the concept of "Tsunagu," or solidarity. Registration for the 2013 Tokyo Marathon, which closed on August 31, drew over 300,000 applicants.

Some of my fellow Malaysians will be flying off to Osaka soon to run in the Osaka Marathon, which will be held on Nov 25th.  Those who will do Osaka is probably coming back to Japan for the Tokyo Marathon next year too. Been reading updates over at FB where runners are granted multiple entry visa to Japan. Way cool!

I'm hoping to run a marathon in Japan someday. Got my sights on doing that in 2014. Seems someone is willing/volunteering to be my support crew there too! ^^

To those running in Osaka Marathon in two weeks + time and any other road races anywhere in the world - all the best! Don't forget to have fun too! ;p

Can't resist posting yet another photo of sweaty me (sorry!). Did a half-marathon last week and despite nursing a teeny-weeny bit of injury from the race; I have to say I had a super fun time.
Hope the foot heals in time for Penang Bridge International Marathon in two weeks' time. I'll be doing my 5th half-marathon this year in Penang. Fingers (and toes) crossed.

32 comments:

  1. Go Go Go Lina, make that Tokyo Marathon your vision and make it happen !!! I am so in awe of you and your strength to do these marathons, heck you look awesome too! If that was me, I swear as most of my friends know me esp. my bestfriend, elder sister and hubby hehehe, running in a marathon or up them hills are simply not my cuppa I'd be huffing and puffing and oh yes not forgetting whinging and whining LOL ..but yes for you girl, GO GO GO Tokyo Marathon 2014 GANBATTE !! Yep its midnight and im still up ..its the only time i have to surf and read my cuppa good reads hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... Nah, I'm not going to do Tokyo marathon just yet. It's in Feb. Way too early (read: cold) for me.

      The one I want to do will be in early Dec & the route is through many historical sites. :-D

      Plus it's fee is cheaper than Tokyo or Osaka or Kobe marathon. Me, kedekut. :-P

      Delete
  2. I've just look at the Wikipedia entry for the World Marathon Majors Series. The winners are all from Kenya Kenya Kenya, Ethiopia Ethiopia Ethiopia ...

    YEEEHA! AFRICA! See? I keep telling you, we get lots of practice running away from lions and terrorists. :D

    Your support crew is ready, waiting and at your service! Nara, here we come! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the top spots are dominated by African runners. Even in Malaysia and at small races that's open to foreigners; Afrikans runners will hog top places.

      I better practice well and not make my support crew wait ages for me to cross the finish line. ^.^

      Delete
  3. OK, now let me go check what's happening on your other blog. My blogging activities always stall mid-week, when academia takes over. I'm catching up today. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been stalling myself. Blame year-end closing of account. :-S

      Delete
  4. It's good news. I hope you will enjoy Penang Bridge International Marathon without injuries. And someday in Tokyo Marathon too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I heard this news recently as well and glad to see Tokyo added to the worlds major Marathons. You'll have to visit Tokyo now for the Marathon and may as well stay a while too for some sightseeing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do the Tokyo Marathon and one gets to cover a whole lot of Tokyo. :)

      Delete
  6. A marathon in Japan! That is DEFINITELY "you" and I hope you'll get to do it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... I hope so. But I'll be patient and wait for 2014. I need to train well and not be totally left behind by strong obachan runners. ;p

      Delete
  7. It's a good news and good luck. By coincidence, I posted about marathon on my blog. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cologne marathon sounds great! Any taker for running 63km here? ^^

      Delete
    2. I guess so. I didn't expect to see it. :)

      Delete
    3. It's the season for events. Cool months ahead, great for some running activities in the outdoors. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Lina, I chanced upon your blog and I am an avid Ultraman fan as well. May I know where in Tokyo can I meet and greet Ultraman? Thanks very much for your response!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Search for Ultraman, Ultraman Club, Ultraman Festival (Ulfes) for some info. It's been years since we last look for an Ultraman in Tokyo. ^^

      Delete
  9. Lina, I get tired just reading about your running posts! Walking is as good as it gets for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking works for me too but truthfully, running is easier. :-D

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Gays mesti ada, even though action tak seberapa. Bwahaha

      Delete
  11. Why not joining them!!! You are my superwoman!! You can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not easy to get a slot in Tokyo/osaka marathon. If by ballotting and I have yet prepare or train to handle a full marathon course. :-)

      hopefully I'll be ready in 6 months time. Yes, that's the amount of time I need to train. :-P

      Delete
    2. p.s. There will be Malaysians running the Macau Marathon in two weeks time. ^_^

      Delete
  12. Salute your ability to run... hope your dream of doing a marathon in Japan comes true...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck to you on your upcoming race! You definitely should be proud of your accomplishments. Maybe someday you can do the World Marathon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To take part in all the marathon majors would drain my resources. ;)

      But then, never say never. ^^

      Delete
  14. Ai?! Its rare to see you not update hehehe mesti you sibuk eh. Just dropping by to have an update of my favorite reads :) Just got back from my kampung and in many ways feel relieved to have a speedier connection to the internet heheheehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah well, got pre-occuppied with the other blog and other activities.

      Actually, updating here would probably be just once a week nowadays. ;p

      How was the visit? Great I bet. :)

      Delete
    2. Awwwwwwwww mind you i can barely keep up with my blogs hehheeheh

      my visit teruk, kena a bad case of a head cold / head flu (if there is such a symptom heehe) 2 days before i head back to KL i felt better heck i missed out on alot of yummy food and my poor baby pun kena my flu ..if only people would believe that I, this crazy globetrotter, am pretty much human and do get sick too like all human beings hehehe

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...