Thursday, 24 January 2013

Souvenirs Of Japan

One of the things you get at tourist spots - souvenir shops.

I don't know about you, but at times I feel that shops that cater (or are more used) to foreign tourists behaved differently than those places where foreign tourists aren't seen as much. The shopkeepers don't fawn over us as much and bit more gruffy. heh heh Think Nakamise-dori, Himeji and similar places. You know, the subtle difference between something asking you whether the item is OK with "ii desu ka" and "yoroshii desu ka". ;p

I got several "amulets" at Kotokuin for my non-Muslim friends and sent it by normal post once I got home. Out of 5, only 1 made it safely to the receiver. Ah well... Pos Malaysia don't get their reputation by being all transparent and efficient.

It can be troublesome for both sender and receiver but I'm sticking to registered mail in the future!

p.s. It's a public holiday today in Malaysia. We are celebrating "Maulidur Rasul" or the birth of Prophet Muhammad today which is on the 12th Rabiul Awal 1434 (of the Islamic calendar).

I'm supposed to do a 20K run today. Let's see whether I managed to crawl out of bed early for a change instead of doing it at 8.00am and get baked by the 10.00am AGAIN! :)

10 comments:

  1. GO LINE GO!!!!! 20k run eh ..for me even 1k Im already gasping for air. I have a love hate thing for Pos Malaysia, sometimes i rate the service good and efficient ..sometimes i dont. The worse was last year when i received this parcel from a friend in Tasmania, i had to pay a huge sum for it to be released from Customs. I couldnt even dispute it and when i opened it i couldnt believe the items that i had to pay for RM100+ for ..packs of marinate powder, a pack of sweets, chocolates that bloody hell are all melted cos its been in the heat (and it was my favorite), toys for my girl and socks ..a pair of sandals and other knic knacs so i was looking at all these and wondered how can these be considered as TAXABLE goods? During my travels going to shops catered for tourist are so different compared to non tourist, i get a much more nicer and honest service from them hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ended up not doing the 20K. Wasn't feeling too good, so dropped the plan and the target pace and did a slow & easy 13K run instead.

      Adoi! What a bad experience receiving your package. Wonder why those item needed to be taxed though? :(

      You mean, you get better service at touristy shops? I guess it works at certain countries.

      Japan wise - I really want to be treated as one of the locals. Better service. Hehehe And rather not be thought of as mainland Chinese (no offense to Chinese!)

      Delete
  2. We checked out both Nakamise-dori and Ameyokocho in Tokyo and they were both bustling and full of tourists both foreign and Japanese. A lot of the tourist places you can find a good Japanese souvenir but sometimes I like finding a rare gem at a small local back alley shop untouched by the tourist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you JA!

      I love walking in the back alleys of Asakusa. More gems and less crowd too. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds safer to deliver the souvenirs personally to your friends. Stay in bed on your day off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess.

      But then, it's not easy to meet up with people, especially if they have busy schedule.

      Delete
  4. Did you have a lekker holiday and a lekker run?

    Hmm. Wait. She hasn't responded to any comments yet. So ... she's still running?! (@_@)

    I can't register any mail from Japan to South Africa. Japan Post refuses. Too much theft. Same reason why Amazon refuses to mail parcels to SA: you have to have it delivered via courier, so the postage is 10x more expensive than the book itself.

    Ah, the joys of the jungle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got errrr.... distracted. You can see the source of the distraction over at Twitter. I tweeted about it yesterday. ;p

      At least you can still courier it. No? xD

      There's only one courier company that agrees to send anything to Myanmar from Malaysia. That's DHL. Though they charge an awesomely high rate for the privilege. Imagine that! @.@

      Delete
  5. Did you have a good holiday? Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another long weekend... we have another public holiday next Monday. Enjoying the time off. :)

      Have a great weekend ahead Minoru! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...