Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Summer Sound


I have a whimsical neighbour. He/she places a row of these wind chimes on the trees just outside my apartment window and if the home is quiet enough (which meant the TV wasn't blaring), I can listen to the chimes.
Music to my ears.

Japanese wind bell is such a nice distraction to the hot and humid summer in Japan. I'm from Malaysia so I should have been able to cope with summer in Japan but truth be told, I suffered during the two trips we made in summer to Japan. (Except when we were in Nyuto Onsen. It was a blissfully cooling September there instead of the HOT HOT HOT Tokyo).

Back to the ones my neighbour made.

There are verses written on the rectangular shapes chimes which further made me think of Japan. Furin 風鈴, has a rectangular card hanging from it and on the card; which is called a tanzaku (poem slip). Poems and verses are written on the tanzaku. A custome during tanabata too, writing wishes; maybe in form of poetry, on the tanzaku or on a piece of paper and hanging it on bamboo or wish tree.

My neighbours wrote verses on his/her card too. Isn't it nice? It was nice to hang out at the staircase, enjoying the strong breeze, listening to the chimes and reading the notes too. ^^

For hubby though, what he enjoys is the sound (or shall I say racket?) crickets made in summer. He always complained that crickets in Japan made nicer (noisier) sound than the ones back home! *slap forehead* LOL

Ah well, they do say opposite attracts. wakaka

Happy Golden Week y'all! 

16 comments:

  1. The sound of summer in Japan for me along with the bang of fireworks :) The Ukai (Cormorant Fishing) will start in a month, so should have fireworks every night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate bangs. xD

      Have fun in Summer. I'm jealous. :)

      Delete
  2. Summer sound = Cicadas for me. Annoying a lot of the time but a true summer sound.

    Wind chimes? Nice cool sound. Crickets? Annoying but not bad. Loud cars, that's something I can't sleep to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me cicadas over loud cars (and motorbikes too).

      Delete
  3. I love wind chimes! Love love love them, especially the Edo kind (i.e. the little glass bells).

    I love cicadas, too, but they can be SO loud that they give you a headache.

    Asagao! Morning glories! I spotted the morning glories in that video (guess who's now totally fixated on flowers?) and remembered it will soon be the shitamachi morning glory festival. Summer. Happy. Rainy season. Triple happy. Dances little jig of joy.

    ♡*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll brace to be swamped by lotsa purple flowers posts soon!

      Rainy season = noisy frogs? No? Ah well, not in Tokyo. ^^

      That said, I think it's been ages since I last hear the racket frogs can make. *nostalgic mode*

      Delete
  4. I just loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wind chimes, its so peaceful and serene. I used to wear this chime ball necklace until the leather thong broke (still looking for replacement), i love the sound of a soft clinkity clink when i move around. I cant stand the sound of cicadas ooh and bull frogs gahhhhhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cicadas I don't mind much (I think) but I remembered I hated the sounds of frogs. ;p

      Delete
  5. 風鈴 is very nostalgic because I don't find them recently in my neighborhood.
    I'll buy them this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have bamboo wind chimes. There is something very relaxing about the sound it makes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you aware of the fact that the Africa Asia Business Consortium is planning to abduct Raimie? We've been discussing it in detail at the wisteria post. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh Would your neighbor mind placing the wind bell in some other place and not in front of your window! That's distracting. I can't bare with that if I were you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a problem with me at all. It's a nice distraction.

      I always make a point to sit out at the balcony and listen to it chime.

      So yes, I bear with the "noise" marvelously.

      Delete
  9. I like to listen to those sound, it's so peaceful and relax!!! =]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...