Monday, 15 July 2013

Jomyoin and 84,000 Jizo

Jomyoin Temple is an old temple that was once one of the 36 priests' residences of Kaneiji Temple, but now a temple in its own right, and noted for its 84,000 jizo; statues of the Bodhisattva guardian of children.

We finally made a trip there in 2011 because of Ru and her post on Yanaka Cemetery. We walked from Ueno Station, traipsed around Ueno Park, made a stop at the main hall of Kaneiji Temple before arriving to Jomyoin.

First sign that we were near and was heading to the correct place was this vending machine. I saw vending machines of omikuji before and now this. Just 500yen!
The main hall, I suppose? I wanted to enter but wasn't sure whether it's appropriate. There were not a single soul around for us to enquire.

Founded in 1666, it was named Joen-in temple before it was change to its present name, Jomyoin which was adopted in 1723.

Kinda set my camera too bright. Arrghhhhh...
A priest named  Myoun who became a Chief Priest of Jomyoin in 1876 had faith in Jizo (guardian diety of children) and decided to erect 1,000 images of Jizo. After completing it, he decided to continue and went for 84,000 Jizo! Ambitious.

Though can someone enlighten me on why the final amount was 84,000?
Maybe it was me but I feel like I need to be very respectful and was walking around quietly. It was just images of Jizo there but I felt melancholic walking around. Jizo has that effect on me.

Zaini and Raimie were quite uninterested and was waiting somewhere near the hall while I walked around.
From here we made our way to Yanaka cemetery, got asked for direction by a Japanese lady holding a map before making our way to Nippori Station which is a mere 15minutes walk from Jomyoin.
Had lunch there before boarding a train back to Ueno Station. While making our way to the train platform, we were asked for direction again by a nice, elderly Japanese couple. I think they were asking on which train to take to go to Yokohama or something. 

I guess we looked like we know where we were going. 

I got asked for directions again later that evening at Sensoji. This was our record. 3 lost Japanese asked directions from us in a single day.

14 comments:

  1. Now that is a lot of Jizo, I will have to check this place out the next time I'm back in Tokyo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should. Make a complete tour of Ueno Park too! :-)

      Delete
  2. You look very familiar to Japan because many Japanese asked you
    In addition, you look so kind and friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I look friendly at all. Haha

      Delete
  3. Aha, when I read your comment on my blog, I guessed it would be a post about Jizō. I can spend hours at this temple, but I can understand that your boys got restless.

    84 000? It's said that you have to open 84 000 dharma doors on your way to Buddhahood. It's a symbolic number: it simply means it ain't exactly an easy road. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if nobody was fidgeting, I'd probably squint at every single Jizo.

      84,000 dharma doors? The Buddha set forth 84,000 Dharma-doors, and every door is a path to accomplishing Buddhahood or something like that?

      Oppff too hard for me, that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. So did you stop at Kan'ei-ji and the insect memorial on your way to Ueno Station? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did!

      I posted about Mushizuka even!

      But of course, since I was too darn lazy to update this blog properly, it was way back before this Jizo post. Gomen. ^^
      http://urutoranohihi.blogspot.com/2012/08/consoling-spirits.html

      Must do something proper about Kaneiji sometime soon... not just this
      http://urutoranohihi.blogspot.com/2013/03/at-kaneiji-temple.html

      Delete
  5. Raimie is a good boy to visit temples and shrines with you. My son would only be able to handle visiting one before asking to be taken to the Lego shop at Tokyo Station!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His treat was a can of Kamen Rider or Ultraman drinks bought from the vending machine. Once a day. (Though sometimes, we conveniently can;t find the machine to buy one. Hahaha)
      http://urutoranohihi.blogspot.com/2011/01/drinks-fit-for-super-hero.html

      Delete
  6. Whoa Jizo alright, my favorite deity heard so much from Rurousha too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favourite too.

      I am ever so grateful to Rurousha for the wealth of insight she has given us all about the Jizo. :-)

      Delete
  7. I had to look up of omikuji. They're fortunes written on scraps of paper. Wild to have them in a vending machine! but so Japanese....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw them, I was like... Huh?

      But then I remembered than I was in Japan. :-D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...