Tuesday, 1 September 2015

The Manhole Covers!

Rojo-kansatsu, which literally means observation on the road; is an act of watching and appreciating something that is not common or if you don't pay attention to, such as manhole covers or other not so obvious interesting things you see along the way is I guess, something I love to do.

But then again, they are a lot of Japan manhole covers fans out there!

We always love to spot interesting manhole covers during our trip in Japan and here are some we saw during last year's trip.

We didn't get that many last year as we only travelled to a few cities during our 10-day trip.
 Water strider on Nagoya's manhole cover.
 Mount Takao manhole cover depicting the Hachioji Kuruma Ningyo.
Two found in Niiza, Saitama Prefecture.
Lake Kawaguchi. With Mount Fuji in the background, of course.
Fujiyoshida City.

There were a number of other manhole covers that we've spotted in previous year, from up north in Hokkaido all the way down to Kyushu and I've shared them in this blog though I have yet made an attempt to label those posts under "manhole covers" before. Check them out here.

It's fun to look at all this lovely manhole covers not only for their design but also for the stories behind the design.
Like this one in Takamatsu which features Nasu no Yoichi of the Minamoto/Genji Clan during the Battle of Yashima.

11 comments:

  1. The manhole covers in Japan are a lot of fun. I always find myself now looking below my feet to spot them when I travel to a new city or town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great word. We need a word like that in English. I love this blog even more now we have been to Japan ourselves. I have some photos of manhole covers, including one of fire fighters, crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great word. We need a word like that in English. I love this blog even more now we have been to Japan ourselves. I have some photos of manhole covers, including one of fire fighters, crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny!

      Have you shared them in your blog?

      I might have missed it!

      Delete
  4. Hi! Nice collection of manhole cover photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Japanese make everything look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An interesting thing I need to take note.
    This will sure keep my 2 kids busy when we visiting Osaka and Kyoto next month.
    But too bad I can't look out for them when I ran my 42km.... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look out for nice ones in Kyoto if you visit Amanohashidate, Fushimi Inari, Arashiyama... etc too. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...