Friday, 16 October 2015

Excerpts of 2015 Kansai Trip #11 : Running A Road Race In Kyoto

So we went to Kyoto in September, to celebrate my birthday and hubby's too. Plus I wanted to run an ultramarathon to celebrate it.

And Tango Ultramarathon fits the bill.

So I did! I ran. I had lots of fun doing it. The course was excellent with great views. The crew and volunteers cheerful and helpful. The residents encouraging. Excellently organised race. 

I wrote my race recap here, if anyone wants to read it.

It was interesting to note that we were served salt at aid station, apart from fruits and food. Of course we need to replace the sodium loss when we run, but here in Malaysia, people tend to spend on saltstick instead of normal, loose salt for it. Or at the very least, ORS.

Pickles at all aid stations. That was nice. Don't see it served in any races in Malaysia yet. I wonder if all our jeruk buah can be useful for ultramarathons? Hihihi

We were encouraged by residents we passed along the race route.

From those standing or sitting outside their shops/homes, young and old. Very old too.
From obachaans who were on their way to visit the graves.
Kids shouting encouragements from their holiday apartments too.

Two kids waiting for their Daddy at around KM8 mark, standing outside a resort. The Daddy stopped, gave them a kiss and asked about their Mommy who had ran inside to get something. ^^

There were quite a number of independent support crew giving support to the running groups or friends. Stopping at certain stretches for the runners to arrive for fueling or aid, before driving off ahead to wait for them again.

One obachaan outside her shop offered spray to runners who ran past. I smiled, thanked her and told her, I was OK.

We ran past a beach side, ran up a hill and was granted with a magnificent view of the Sea of Japan. We ran past farms with rows and rows of negi, some persimmon trees not yet fully ripe and past plenty of rice fields, waiting to be harvested soon. 

We ran past villages, some seemed devoid of residents with no one outside other than the volunteers ensuring our safety and at other times, we had a whole stretch with villagers sportingly encouraging us.

It was a very nice run, all 60K of it, for me.

The experience sure made me crave to run in Japan again!

But for another race, I'll have to wait till 2018. 

For the time being, I need to train! Train! Train! :-)

6 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective of an aspect of Japan I have not thought of before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting perspective of an aspect of Japan I have not thought of before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my second time combining a road race with our vacation in Japan.

      My experience running in the Fujisan Marathon last year was awesome! :)

      Delete
  3. I had fun running the Osaka Marathon last Sunday! At KM 34-ish a Japanese yelled "dari mana? Dari mana?" Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wahhhhh!!! That was nice, ya? :)

      Congrats!

      Delete
  4. I had fun running the Osaka Marathon last Sunday! At KM 34-ish a Japanese yelled "dari mana? Dari mana?" Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...